what we do

Partial & complete new electrical installations                Fault finding & repairs

Newfuseboards/consumer units                                     Earthing                                                                                                                                                                       

New & replacement shower circuits                               Additional sockets, lights switches and pendants

Exterior lighting                                                              Garden lighting

Power supply to external buildings                                 Wire free lighting & controls

Smoke alarms systems                                                  Electrical underfloor heating

Extractor fans & cooker hoods                                       Installation of appliances (cookers, hobs, etc.)  

Storage heaters                                                              Electrical showers

No obligation estimates provided on request. Advice and guidance on all electrical  work. Our services  extend to project management of all electrical istallations.

Partnerships with property letting management companies arranged.

new wiring regulations introduced to keep your home safe

It's not the cachiest of titles, but knowing about the 17th Edition of the wiring regulations (BS7671) is important if  you're thinking of having any electrical installation work done. The wiring regulations were updated in July 2008 and involve additional safety features for almost any new wiring in the home. This means that many existing systems no longer meet the latest safety standards.

What is Part P of the Building Regulations?  In 2005 the Government introduced electrical safety rules into the Building Regulations for England and Wales. Because of this, most fixed electrical installation work carried out in  homes must, by law, meet the Building Regulations. Part P states that anyone carrying out electrical installation  work in a home must make sure that the work is designed and installed to protect people from fire and electric   shocks. Part P applies to newly-built homes and to any changes made to existing installations, including any parts that have been rewired. You can find full details on Part P on the Communities and Local Government website,  www.communities.gov.uk. What electrical work is covered by this law?

All electrical installation work in a home, garden, conservatory or outbuilding must meet the Building Regulations. Apart from some types of minor work, all electrical work must either be reported to the local-authority building-control, or be carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved scheme providers.

who is responsible for making sure that electrical work meets the requirements of Part P?

By law, all homeowners and landlords must be able to prove that all electrical installation work meets Part P, or they  will be committing a criminal offence. Local authorities can make homeowners or landlords remove or alter any work that does not meet the Building Regulations. 

The advantages of using a registered electrician are:

  • You will not have to pay any building-control charges 
  • The electrician can deal with everything for you
  • The electrician will arrange for you to receive a certificate that confirms the work meets Building Regulations
  • You have access to a formal complaints procedure if the work doesn’t meet Building Regulations  
  • You can choose to take out an insurance-backed guarantee when you have the work done, and you can make a claim  if the work is later found not to meet Building Regulations.

What does Part P of the Building Regulations mean for me?  If you use a registered electrician, you can expect to have safe electrical installation work done, as the work will meet the UK national standard, BS 7671 (Requirements for Electrical Installations). When the work is finished you will receive: An Electrical Installation Certificate or Minor Works Certificate that confirms that the work meets BS 7671; and A Building Regulations Compliance Certificate that confirms that the work meets the Building Regulations. 

Is it important who carries out electrical installation work in my home?  Yes. Electrical installation work must be carried out only by people who have the knowledge, skill and experience needed to avoid danger to themselves and others. It’s easy to make an electrical circuit work – it’s far harder to make the circuit work safely. We strongly recommend that you use a registered electrician to do any electrical installation work you need. They work to the UK national safety standard and will give you a safety certificate to confirm that their work has been designed, inspected and tested in line with that standard.